In this tutorial, we’re going to learn how to make a landing page website with wordpress 2020.
What is a landing page?
A landing page is a one page website with formation about a product, your service, or an app. The landing page can also be used to provide information and have an optin form of some type. So we’re going to show you a few options for a landing page website and then you can learn how to customize and create it however you want.
What You Need to Complete This Landing Page Website Tutorial
- A little bit of time
- A computer and an internet connection
- Hosting and a domain
A domain is your website address. And hosting allows you to run your website and store all of your content. We need both in order to run a website.
We’re going to go to a website called Hostgator to get our domain and hosting. It is the place I’ve recommended all my viewers and clients to go to get their hosting and domain, and I’ve used them since I started my career.
- Easy to use
- Cheap (we like saving money!)
- Great customer service
Step 1: Get Hosting and Domain
The first thing we need to do is get a domain, which is our web address. And then we need to get hosting, which allows us to run our website.
Go to Hostgator to get both your domain and hosting for your landing page website.
USE THE COUPON CODE NYCTECH30 FOR ~70% OFF
Disclaimer: This is an affiliate coupon code. Hostgator pays us a fee if you use it and that helps us continue to make videos like this. Thank you!
You can decide whether the baby plan or the hatchling plan is best for you. The baby plan is all you need if you are building one website.
Step 2: Install WordPress
Now that you’ve gotten your domain and hosting for your website landing page, we need to install wordpress so we can actually create the website landing page.
- All you have to do is go do the cpanel or dashboard from hostgator
- Find your domain and open up the cpanel and click on the quick install button to install wordpress
- Type in the details – you can always change this stuff later!
- And install wordpress
Step 3: Clean Up the Website
Let’s delete all the unnecessary stuff that WordPress installs so we can start with a clean slate.
- First we’ll delete our plugins
- Then we’ll clean up the dashboard
Please watch the video to see what we do!
Step 4: Install Theme
The theme that we will be installing is the Ocean WP theme.
Go to your wordpress dashboard
Hover over appearance and click on themes
Click on add new
Search for the OCEAN WP theme
Click install and activate
Step 5: Install Plugins
Now we need to install the recommended plugins. Go ahead and do that just like we do in the video for the landing page website we are learning how to make with wordpress
Step 6: Elementor Pro
For this tutorial, we use the elementor pro so if you want to use that too. Use this link to go to the elementor website.
It is an affiliate link, so we appreciate the love. Elementor will give us a fee if you use our link.
Step 7: Create Homepage
Now let’s create our homepage for the landing page.
Hover over pages and click on add new
Title the page Home
Click publish (twice)
Step 8: Settings
Lets fix our URL and the permalinks before we go and install the wordpress theme that we are going to use to build our website landing page.
- We need to go to our settings and we can change the site title or the tagline here
- Then we can add www. to the wordpress and site address
- Then let’s go to the plugin page again and find the Really Simple SSL plugin
- Click install and activate
- Now our wordpress website is secure!
- The last thing we want to do is go to the settings > permalink and select the post name option for good SEO URLS
- Click save for everything
Step 9: Demo Content
Click here to download the demo content for this landing page website tutorial with wordpress
- Now go to the wordpress dashboard
- Hover over media
- Click add new
- Drag in all the images and that’s all you have to do!
Step 10: Build Landing Page
The tutorial goes through all the steps. I will link you to the video here in a day. But for now, please watch the video.
I will put the steps here as well.
Step 10: Make Your Website Responsive
Congrats! You’re all done!